The Boating Certification Process

What makes SaferBoater so uniquely positioned to help you better than anyone else?

We are a US Sailing & US Powerboating accredited school, meaning we provide professional instruction at nationally recognized standards. And, we are the only one in South Carolina!

US Sailing (and it's subsidiary US Powerboating) is the National Governing Body for the sport of sailing in the United States, as designated by the U.S. Congress.

While any Sailing Lessons and Powerboating Lessons will increase your skill level and boater safety awareness, our courses are designed to help you develop mastery level boat handling skills.


"Our instructors are USCG captains, certified in the highest training standards in the US. Our system incorporates both the knowledge and on-the-water skills to keep you safe on the water. "

So HOW do I get Certified?

SaferBoater offers the only on-the-water training program authorized in South Carolina to certify you with the three boater-governing authorities: NASBLA*, SCDNR* & US Powerboating.

By completing a US Powerboating Certification Course, you will meet the standards set forth in all 50 states, including those that require a Boater's Education Training Course in order to rent or purchase a boat.

  1. SCDNR's "State Boating Education Card", the boating authority for the State of South Carolina
  2. NASBLA's "Approved Boaters Education Course", which represents the recreational boating authorities of all 50 states and the U.S. territories
  3. US Powerboating's "Safe Powerboat Handling Certificate ", which is the only course approved through NASBLA in all 50 States for on-the-water training

Beginning with our Keelboat, Basic Cruising & Bareboat Cruising courses, we take a novice with no knowledge and turn them into a competent sailor.

Our Sailing Education Courses begins with the basics of sailing and concludes with skippering ability and crew coordination.

Upon completion of our core sailing skills you can apply for a US Sailing IPC (International Proficiency Certificate), which is required to simplify the charter process and operate a vessel in compliance with EU & International Law.

Basically, an International Boating Driver's License to rent a boat up to 47' anywhere in the world.   It's Kind of a Big Deal!