Master Captain Tyler Ryan
Location : Columbia, SC
Master Captain Tyler Ryan is a maritime professional with a passion for all things on the water.
Captain Ty grew up boating on amazing waterways in New England, including Round Pond (VT), Echo Lake (VT), Lake Champlain (VT), lake George (NY), Spofford Lake (NH), Lake Winnipesaukee (NH) and Lake Sunapee (NH).
The Captain also earned his Open Water Diver certification in early 2002.
Captain Ty moved to Charleston, South Carolina in 2002, and quickly fell in love with Southern waters, including the ICW and Charleston Harbor, once again, spending a ton of time making wakes, exploring bottom time, diving for shark teeth in the Cooper and even sucking air, cleaning boat bottoms.
In 2005, he found Lexington, and Lake Murray, spending as many days on and under “Miss Murray” as possible, finding every reason to be boating or diving that could even be imagined.
Advancing through his diving career, in 2014, Captain Ty became a member of the Newberry County Water Rescue Team, ultimately becoming a Dive Supervisor, eventually becoming a Topside Commander, overseeing recovery dive operations.
He founded a watersports paddle company in 2015, teaching standup paddleboarding and kayaking, in the fastest growing recreational sport in the United States. Driven by his passion for the water and teaching, he earned his USCG Captain’s License from the United States Coast Guard in 2018, and created Lake Murray Boat Tours, providing private charters that include history, entertainment, sightseeing and more to guests from across the globe.
Tyler also found himself as an Adjunct Instructor for the University of South Carolina’s Sailing / Boating courses.
In 2020, Captain Ty partnered with Captain Rick “Hook” Crout to create the Carolina Boating Academy, sharing the love of water, and the necessity for knowledge and maritime safety, through a hands-on boat training program.
By 2022, Captain Ty had become a Nationally Certified US Powerboat Safe PowerBoat Instructor, and currently as the Midlands and Upstate Commander for the non-profit organization, Safer Boating.
Power Boating Experience:
- 2021-Present : Carolina Boat Academy USCG Master Captain / Instructor / Owner-Operator
- 2018-Present : Lake Murray Boat Tours, Boat Charter Captain / Instructor
- 2019-2021 : USC : Adjunct Instructor Boating / Sailing Course
- 2016-Present : Palmetto Watersports Boat Charter Captain / Instructor
- 2015 : Cruise Director for Carnival Sunshine, Safety Officer
- 2014-Present : Newberry County Water Rescue
Captain / Topside Incident Commander / Public Safety Diver
Training & Certifications:
- USCG Master Boat Captain (Sea School)
- SSI Master SCUBA Diver, Advanced Certifications
- Class 1 Certified Police Officer
- Certified Underwater Crime Scene Investigation
- American Sailing Association
- CPR / First Aid